Let Your Voice Be Heard Personal Injury Law is All We Do

I Was Hit By an Uninsured Driver, What Can I Do?

Car accidents are stressful enough, but if you learn that the other driver was uninsured or underinsured, they can become a nightmare. Car insurance is mandatory for registered vehicles in most states, but there still may be drivers who do not have coverage. If you’ve been hit by an uninsured driver, you may still be able to recover compensation for your accident. Learn more about your options after an accident with an uninsured driver.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

In the state of New York, this type of coverage is legally required to be included in addition to your regular policy. It can help cover your medical expenses and property damages if you’ve been involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist (UIM). With UIM coverage, you will make a claim with your own insurance company, rather than against the other driver. This coverage is meant to provide benefits if you or a passenger in your car are injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

If you are hit by an underinsured motorist, this coverage will kick in after their coverage has been exhausted. Many drivers don’t have adequate insurance and can cause significant damage and injury that will go uncovered without UIM coverage.

After an Accident

If you’ve been hit but an uninsured driver, you will need to contact your insurance right away. The accident should also be reported to the police. Be sure to seek medical care for any injuries, and have a thorough medical examination to confirm that you are uninjured. You will need to keep copies of any evidence that can support your claim, including:

  • Police reports
  • Medical records
  • Receipts and bills related to the accident
  • Photos of the crash scene, injuries, and damage to the vehicles.

You also should get in touch with our Ostego County car accident lawyers. Our team at Scarzafava, Basdekis & Dadey, PLLC can help you file your claim and receive the compensation you deserve. Learn how we can help with a free consultation.

Contact our firm today! Call (607) 228-8404.