Motorcycles are iconic modes of transportation that give riders joy and allow them to feel a sense of freedom that the confines of a car cannot provide. Unfortunately, it is this very feature that also makes motorcycles inherently less safe than other vehicles. In fact, motorcyclists are 27 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash and five times more likely to be injured. That does not mean you need to swap your bike for a car. However, it is important to be aware of the most common causes of accidents involving motorcycles to ensure you do what you can to avoid them.
Below is a list of the most frequent causes of motorcycle accidents in the country:
- Dangerous lane changes: When drivers fail to check their blind spots or signal when changing lanes, they risk colliding into motorcyclists. Given that motorcycles are also smaller than other vehicles on the road, checking blind spots is crucial to preventing these accidents. As a motorcyclist, you should avoid lingering in a driver’s blind spot to try to avoid this type of accident.
- Open car doors: Motorcycle accidents can easily occur when drivers open the door of their parked car in the path of an oncoming motorcycle. Try to avoid driving beside a line of parked cars.
- Speeding: Motorcycles are a lot of fun to ride and it can be tempting to speed. This is actually a leading cause of accidents for all vehicles, however, since it reduces the time one has to react to what might be happening on the road ahead of you. It also increases the severity of the impact, resulting in terrible, possibly fatal injuries.
- Driving under the influence: Everyone knows that driving under the influence is against the law, but a lot of people still do it and underestimate how impaired their judgment is even after just a couple of drinks. Always ride your bike sober.
- Lane splitting: When a motorcyclist drives between two lanes of traffic, this is knowns as “lane splitting.” It is incredibly dangerous and should be avoided.
- Sudden stops: A rear-end accident between motor vehicles is not usually too serious. However, a rear-end accident involving a motorcycle can result in severe injuries or even death. Try to avoid following too closely behind vehicles, so you are able to stop in time.
- Inexperienced motorists: Inexperienced drivers are more prone to engaging in risky driving behaviors than than more seasoned drivers. These unpredictable acts put the safety of others at risk. If you notice someone driving erratically, try not to drive near them.
- Left turn accidents: Accidents involving the right of way errors or misjudgments of distance while turning left are a common cause of death for motorcyclists.
- Hazardous road conditions: Other drivers on the road are not always the cause of motorcycle accidents. In some cases, crumbling pavement, debris, potholes, and other poor road conditions can result in motorcycle accidents.
- Motorcycle defects: Lastly, when a manufacturer poorly designs or manufactures a motorcycle part, this can lead to an accident, for which they can be held liable.
Make sure you seek the skilled legal representation of a motorcycle accident attorney if you were injured in a motorcycle crash that was caused by another party’s negligence.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Oneonta
At Scarzafava, Basdekis & Dadey, PLLC, our team of personal injury attorneys in Oneonta is dedicated to fighting on behalf of the wrongfully injured and will do what it takes to hold the responsible parties accountable. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident as a result of someone else’s careless actions, you have a right to pursue fair and just compensation.