Spinal cord injuries are considered catastrophic due to the lasting impact they can have on a person’s life. While some causes of spinal cord injuries are unavoidable, the vast majority are actually preventable. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, more than 80% of spinal cord injury victims are men. This is due to the fact that men tend to partake in more sporting activities or engage in high-speed driving. If you sustained a spinal cord injury in an accident that was caused by another party, do not hesitate to take legal action.
The following are the most common causes of spinal cord injuries:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Given that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death in the country, it should be no surprise that it is also the leading cause of spinal cord injuries. In 2014, they accounted for over 9,000 spinal cord injuries.
- Fall accidents: Falls are another common type of accident that often results in serious injuries, including damage to the spinal cord. One misplaced step on a flight of stairs and lead to a tragic tumble. In 2014, fall accidents resulted in over 6,000 spinal cord injuries, making it the second most common cause.
- Gunshot wounds: Gunshot wounds, even those that do not seem particularly severe, can exact life-altering damage on a person. For example, even a bullet that merely grazes the body can compress or sever the spinal cord. These types of incidents caused nearly 2,000 spinal cord injuries in 2014.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycles do not afford riders much in the way of protection, which makes them substantially more vulnerable compared to other motorists on the road. As such, accidents involving motorcycles are another common cause of these types of injuries. Close to 2,000 spinal cord injuries were caused by motorcycle accidents in 2014.
- Construction site accidents: This is undoubtedly one of the most dangerous industries to work in and many of the accidents that happen on construction sites frequently lead to severe injuries, including spinal cord injuries. In 2014, these accidents resulted in almost 1,000 spinal cord injuries.
- Medical negligence: Medical errors are, unfortunately, all too common. In fact, they are responsible for claiming about 440,000 lives every year. They are also a common cause of spinal cord injuries. In 2014, over 800 spinal cord injuries were caused by medical negligence.
Other common causes of spinal cord injuries include bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, acts of violence, penetrating wounds, and sports-related injuries.
Call a Skilled Oneonta Personal Injury Attorney Today!
If you sustained a spinal cord injury, you are likely going through a difficult time and will continue to feel the ripple effects of this event for years to come. At Scarzafava, Basdekis & Dadey, PLLC in Oneonta, we will fight on your behalf to obtain the compensation you need to get through this painful experience. Our catastrophic injury attorneys are backed by decades of combined experience and a history of proven success, which we will use to your advantage.
Begin your spinal cord injury case today and contact us at (607) 228-8404 to request a complimentary case evaluation with one of our compassionate and knowledgeable attorneys.